Awards & Recognition
December 2016 - IFAD
In December, Seawater Greenhouse was one of four organizations to be invited to IFAD in their Rome Headquarters as part of an event called "Innovations in Agriculture: Solutions for a food-secure future". SG Director Charlie Paton attended the conference and delivered a talk on using the cooling power of water vapour for restorative agriculture.
November 2016 - Business Green Awards
At the annual Business Green Technology Awards, held in London, Seawater Greenhouse won the Clean and Cool International Impact Award and was finalist for Technology of the Year. The award recognizes UK-based SME's that represent the best of British clean-tech overseas.
2013- Sustainia Awards
The Sustainia Awards identify the most innovative sustainable solutions around the world. Seawater Greenhouse was selected as part of the Sustainia100 for its positive social, economic and environmental impact on local communities. The award is a tool for investors, business leaders, decision makers and consumers as it provides insights to the most promising solution at the forefront of sustainable transformations.
2012- RDI Recognition
In 2012, Seawater Greenhouse Director Charlie Paton was elected to be a Royal Designer of Industry by the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA). The RDI is the highest accolade for designers in the UK who have achieved 'sustained design excellence, work of aesthetic value and significant benefit to society.'
2007- ST ANDREWS PRIZE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
The St Andrews Prize For The Environment – The Seawater Greenhouse was one of three environmental projects short listed from a total of 265 entries for the prestigious 2007 St Andrews Prize For The Environment. An environmental initiative by the University of St Andrews in Scotland , and the international integrated energy company, ConocoPhillips, the aim of the Prize is to find practical solutions to environmental challenges from around the globe.
In the press
Financial Times- November 2016
Entrepreneur brings agricultural technology to the Australian Outback
The Guardian- April 2016
The greenhouse that acts just like a beetle and other inventions inspired by nature
Science Daily- July 2015
Seawater Greenhouses bring life to the desert
Global Water Forum- April 2014
Bloomberg- February 2014
Using Seawater to Farm in the Desert
BBC Radio- August 2013
Using the sea to cool the land
Sustania- June 2013
Seawater Greenhouse Selected as Leading Sustainable Solution
The Observer- January 2012
The future of food
- P. A. Davies and C. Paton: The Seawater Greenhouse in the United Arab Emirates: thermal modeling and evaluation of design options, Desalination 173, 2, 103–111 (2005) in press.
- P. A. Davies and C. Paton: The Seawater Greenhouse and the Watermaker Condenser, 3rd Int. Heat Powered Cycles Conference, Larnaca, Cyprus (2004).
- Goosen, M.F.A., S.S. Sablani, C. Paton, J. Perret, A. Al-Nuaimi, I. Haffar, H. Al-Hinai, and W.H. Shayya. 2003. Solar energy desalination for arid coastal regions: Development of a humidification-dehumidification seawater greenhouse. Solar Energy Journal 75:413-419.
- Charlie Paton, Novermber 2001, Seawater Greenhouse Development for Oman: Thermodynamic Modelling and Economic Analysis, MEDRC Series of R&D Reports, MEDRC Project: 97-AS-005b
- Goosen, M.F.A., S. Sablani, W.H. Shayya, C. Paton, and H. Al-Hinai. 2000. Thermodynamic and economic considerations in solar desalination. Desalination 129(1):63-89.
- P. A. Davies and C. Paton: The Seawater Greenhouse: a case study based on Morocco, Sustainable Development International, 2nd Edition, 99-103 (2000). ICG Publishing Ltd.
- Performance aspects of a seawater greenhouse - 23rd WEDC Conference Durban, South Africa, 1997 by A. Raoueche and B.J. Bailey
- P. A. Davies, K. Turner and C. Paton: Potential of the Seawater Greenhouse in Middle Eastern climates, International Engineering Conference Mutah 2004, Mutah, Jordan, 523–540 (2004).
- Sensitivity analysis of the seawater greenhouse - 22nd WEDC Conference, New Delhi, India, 1996 by A. Raoueche, B. Bailey and B. Stenning
- C. Paton and P. A. Davies: The Seawater Greenhouse for Arid Lands, Mediterranean Conference on Renewable Energy Sources for Water Production, Santorini, 163–166 (1996).